BJMP is mandated to direct, supervise and control the administration and operation of all district, city and municipal jails nationwide with pronged tasks of safekeeping and development of inmates.
- In line with it's mission, the Jail Bureau endeavors to perform the following functions:
- Formulate policies and guidelines in the administration of all district, city, and municipal jails nationwide;
- Implement strong security measures for the control of inmates;
- Provide for the basic needs of inmates;
- Conduct activities for the development of inmates;
- Improve jail facilities; and,
- Promote the general welfare and development of personnel.